Four steps to vocation discernment
PRAY | KNOW YOURSELF | SEEK COUNSEL | ACT & CONFIRM
Step 1 Pray
Listen to God’s voice. Invite God into your decision-making process. Try different prayer styles. Attend Mass. Read, meditate, and become aware of God’s presence.
“Ask and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be open to you.” —Matthew 7:7
Step 2 Know yourself
Listen to your voice. What are your fears and motivations? What makes you feel most whole, holy, and true to yourself. What brings you the most joy?
“Let us search and examine our ways, and return to the LORD’s. Let us lift up our hearts as well as our hands toward God in heaven!” —Lamentations 3:40-41
Step 3 Seek Counsel
Listen to other voices. Gather honest input from people who know and love you. Friends, family, parish staff, and spiritual and vocation directors can all help you assess a path you are considering.
“Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.” —Proverbs 19:20
Step 4 Act and confirm
Follow your heart. Once you make your decision, you should be at peace and feel satisfied and confident in your choice. Continue to listen with your heart.
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” —John 14:27
4 steps to discernment:
- Know yourself
- Seek wise counsel
- Act and confirm
- prayer and discernment
- gods call
- vocational steps
- steps to discernment
- discernment process
- 4 steps
- four steps to discernment
- 4 steps to vocation discernment
- Vocation Basics: Essentials for the vocation journey
- VOCATION PRAYERS
- Year of Consecrated Life posters, song, banner for use in your parish, school, institute
- VOCATION FACT SHEET
- E-Vocation Newsletter Sign Up
- FOR PARISHES & PREACHERS: Sample homilies that encourage vocation discernment
- Infographic: Who is answering the call to religious life?
- National Vocation Awareness Week
- FOR BULLETIN EDITORS & DISCERNERS: Reflections on consecrated life
- VOCATION RESOURCES: Myths busted and questions answered Read More
- Find your spirituality type quiz
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- Resources for older discerners or those with physical and developmental differences
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide