FOR PARENTS: Fostering happiness, holiness, and faithfulness
|Looking for ways to strengthen and deepen your faith amid your hectic schedule? Sign up for Take Five for Faith: Daily renewal for busy Catholics to receive daily insight and inspiration in your inbox.|
Your child’s vocation—or answer to God’s call—begins with you.Through your prayers, examples of holiness and faithfulness, and invitation to pursue noble goals, you provide the foundation for your child to live a full life of great joy.
AS PARENTS you are your children’s first teachers and witnesses to the gospel. The church relies on you to awaken in your children the knowledge that they are loved and that they have a sacred purpose: to share that love with others for the greater glory of God. From teaching them their first prayers to introducing them to the art of questioning and listening, you are providing your children with the essential skills they’ll need to discern where God is calling them on the path of love, service, and fulfillment.
10 suggestions for fostering happy and holy families—essential for nurturing vocations
1. Pray daily as a family in thanksgiving, for guidance, for forgiveness.
2. Talk with your children about their worries and concerns; their hopes and dreams.
3. Share meals together as often as possible.
4. Tell stories about your family history—the good and the bad. Talk about how you became a family, and the day your children were born.
5. Decide together your family goals and what your biggest do’s and don’ts are.
6. Be active in your parish and your community. Encourage your children to participate in the ministries of the parish.
7. Teach family members to fight fair and forgive easily.
8. Talk about your faith and the men and women, including sisters, brothers, and priests, who have had an important influence on you.
9. Work to reduce stress among all family members. Have fun and play together each day.
10. Encourage your children to be creative and compassionate and know that those are the greatest of God’s gifts.
An evening of prayer for parents and parishioners. Suggested schedule and opening talk sample opening talk by Beth Mahoney, Director of Holy Cross Family Ministries
Steps for showing your children the great and good things that are within their reach.
by Patrice Tuohy, publisher of TrueQuest Communications
- VocationMatch.com Trends on Religious Life
- VOCATION PRAYERS - Prayers for Vocations
- Glossary of vocation terms
- TAKE FIVE WIDGET
- FOR PASTORS & PREACHERS: Sample homilies that encourage vocation discernment
- How to create a culture of discernment
- FOR DREs | TEACHERS | CATECHISTS
- Family movie night
- FOR YOUTH, YOUNG ADULT & CAMPUS MINISTERS
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- Four steps to hearing your call
- RESOURCE: Seventeen questions about church vocations
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- The three keys to successful vocation decisions