Consecrated life through the ages: Timeline
Consecrated life—in its diverse expressions around the globe—is a gift to the church and world. Its prayer lifts the entire church. Likewise, good works and the pursuit of justice shape society to more closely resemble the reign of God. A life of chastity, poverty, and obedience gives powerful witness to faith in Jesus without a word being uttered.
Inspired by the Holy Spirit, religious communities of men and women rise up, serve a purpose, thrive, and live on or come to an end. This ebb and flow has occurred for 2,000 years and will continue for millennia to come as new members around the world take vows and join their lives to communities to live out the gospel in radical ways.
What follows is a brief timeline of the major events in the history of consecrated life through the ages.
Download a pdf of this article. The Religious Life Timeline is also available as a poster in Vision 2015. Click here to order your copy of Vision 2015. Click here to download a pdf of the poster.
To view the Religious Life Timeline in the Vision 2015 digital edition, click here.
- VocationMatch.com Trends on Religious Life
- VOCATION PRAYERS - Prayers for Vocations
- Glossary of vocation terms
- TAKE FIVE WIDGET
- FOR PASTORS & PREACHERS: Sample homilies that encourage vocation discernment
- How to create a culture of discernment
- FOR DREs | TEACHERS | CATECHISTS
- FOR PARENTS: Fostering happiness, holiness, and faithfulness
- Family movie night
- FOR YOUTH, YOUNG ADULT & CAMPUS MINISTERS Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- Four steps to hearing your call
- RESOURCE: Seventeen questions about church vocations
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- The three keys to successful vocation decisions