Year of Consecrated Life | SURVEY: Among the lights and shadows: The mood of Catholics around consecrated life
In a survey of a broad spectrum of Catholics conducted by the editors of VISION, 94 percent offered a thumbs up to their positive experience with men and women in consecrated life, even among the under-30 set who have grown up in the wake of church scandals and in a time when men and women in consecrated life are not as visible in schools or parish life as they once were.
It is not surprising that respondents found communal aspects of prayer, mission, and service as being most attractive about a religious vocation, just as newer entrants in the 2009 NRVC/CARA Study on Recent Vocation to Religious Life attributed these same values to the origins of their own vocations.
Deepening one’s prayer life through active participation in the sacraments and periodic retreats were also identified as being most helpful in enhancing an appreciation for the vowed life.
What is most encouraging is that more than 70 percent of the survey participants have invited someone to consider religious life. Ideally the promotion of vocations is the responsibility of the entire church, not only of the clergy or religious themselves.
Pope Francis promulgated the Year of Consecrated Life to raise the church’s awareness about the importance of this unique vocation within the communion of vocation we all share as baptized Christians. What a gift and blessing for the entire church!
To read the survey in the Vision 2015 digital edition, click here.
- VocationMatch.com Trends on Religious Life
- Bold and Faithful: Meet Today's Religious
- VOCATION PRAYERS
- VOCATION FACT SHEET
- Consecrated life through the ages (Religious Life Timeline)
- TAKE FIVE WIDGET
- FOR PARISHES & PREACHERS: Sample homilies that encourage vocation discernment
- Infographic: Who is answering the call to religious life?
- FOR BULLETIN EDITORS & DISCERNERS: Reflections on consecrated life
- Beholden to no one but God Read More
- Find your spirituality type quiz
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- Resources for older discerners or those with physical and developmental differences
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide