Science + Spirit = Brother Kyle: Profile of Brother Kyle Mena, F.S.C.
(Photo courtesy of De La Salle Christian Brothers.)
Was your family enthusiastic about your becoming a brother?
My family was set on me developing a family of my own and having children and grandchildren. Nonetheless, both family and friends have come to respect the idea of religious life after meeting the brothers and seeing my joy in community.
What style of prayer works for you?
I pray best in a quiet setting with some light acoustic guitar or piano playing in the background. I find that music balances me, especially when reading the Psalms or other scriptural literature. I also appreciate going outside of my usual routine and praying with a live gospel choir or contemporary music choir.
What’s the most fun you’ve ever had with your community?
Some of the best memories in community are from around the dinner table. To eat with the brothers is to share laughs, smiles, enriching conversation, great food, and fraternity.
What is it like to be a teaching brother?
I like the challenge to have to think on my feet, literally and figuratively. Teaching both religion and science helps me to continue the journey of making connections between faith and reason, and I’ve come to have a passion for working with young folk.
Mother Teresa because she encouraged leaders in society to step up and serve one another “person to person.” I also enjoy Saint Anthony of Padua for his patronage to the poor and the lost.
- What does it mean to be a brother?
- Mountaintop encounter crystallizes my vocation
- Moved by the Spirit: Profile of Brother Luis Ramos, F.M.S.
- Big Brother is watching you
- Why did I become a brother?
- Brother Mark Elder makes an art of spirituality
- How God tricked Duc Pham into becoming a brother
- Why I hate Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Golfer? Accountant? Monk! Profile of Brother James Jensen, O.S.B.
- Brothers: Keepers of the faith Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION