Moved by the Spirit: Profile of Brother Luis Ramos, F.M.S.
(Photo courtesy of Marist Brothers)
What first drew you to religious life?
First, the idea of religious life was so different from anything I had known: living together, working together, praying together. Second, the values were right in line with what I grew up with. My family went to Pentecostal churches, and they were strong supporters of Catholic education, sending me to Catholic schools. In high school I began to feel really attracted to Catholicism, and I entered RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) in college. My family supported me fully, saying, “The Holy Spirit works in many ways; we can’t get in the way!”
What’s the most fun you’ve ever had with your community?
We spend a lot of time together, which can make for fun when we tease one another. One evening we spent a solid hour listing each other’s “most said phrases,” and some impressions were spot on!
Your favorite way to pray?
The Psalms speak to me about everything. I like to use one and find a song that can go with it. Then some silence, a time to thank God, and tell God what’s on my mind.
What saint do you most admire?
Hildegard of Bingen is probably my favorite; she was not afraid to start new things and stand up to power!
What is your current ministry?
At the moment I work with several student groups at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. Our novitiate is on that campus. Part of my ministry is direct involvement with students through Campus Ministries and being present around campus.
What do you enjoy most about your work?
Being present as a listener and facilitator. It’s an honor to be let into the life of any person, and I learn from the students here.
- Mountaintop encounter crystallizes my vocation
- Big Brother is watching you
- Why did I become a brother?
- Brother Mark Elder makes an art of spirituality
- How God tricked Duc Pham into becoming a brother
- Why I hate Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Golfer? Accountant? Monk! Profile of Brother James Jensen, O.S.B.
- Brothers: Keepers of the faith
- Hard road to the monastery
- A teacher at heart: Profile of Brother Chris Patiño, F.S.C. Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION