Golfer? Accountant? Monk! Profile of Brother James Jensen, O.S.B.
(Photo courtesy of Saint Meinrad Archabbey)
What first drew you to religious life?
The idea that I could order my life around the liturgy was attractive, as was praying with a community.
How did you meet your community?
A priest friend of mine in my home diocese is an alumnus of the seminary my community runs, and he encouraged me to visit. I made a vocation retreat and entered four years later.
How did your family and friends respond when you told them you were joining a religious community?
They weren’t surprised but had lots of questions about what life as a monk would be like and how much contact I would be able to have with them. They were supportive but worried I was going to completely cut ties with the outside world once I joined. Although my relationships have changed, I still have wonderful friends outside the monastery.
What’s the most fun you’ve ever had with your community?
The most fun I have is in daily interactions—whether at our community recreation in the evening or throughout the day as we work together. I work with our youth program, One Bread, One Cup, in our development office, and I’m the assistant archabbey sacristan.
I love to ride my bike and get outside and see nature. I’ve biked across my home state of Iowa five times and try to ride parts of an Iowa group ride on my vacation if I can. I also enjoy reading and watching movies.
Your favorite way to pray?
I love lectio divina, our practice of praying with scripture. We block out two times a day for it. Lectio is my favorite because it helps me connect with Christ and better understand our relationship.
- Mountaintop encounter crystallizes my vocation
- Moved by the Spirit: Profile of Brother Luis Ramos, F.M.S.
- Big Brother is watching you
- Why did I become a brother?
- Brother Mark Elder makes an art of spirituality
- How God tricked Duc Pham into becoming a brother
- Why I hate Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Brothers: Keepers of the faith
- Hard road to the monastery
- A teacher at heart: Profile of Brother Chris Patiño, F.S.C. Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION