Back in the fold, better than ever: Profile of Brother Juan José Jáuregui, O.F.M.
What’s your favorite part of your current ministry?
The trust that sick people put in me.
Ever had any nicknames?
Juanjo, JJ, Fray, Brother.
What first drew you to religious life?
My own spiritual needs, curiosity, and concerns about something unknown—about God and myself.
When you were growing up, did you think you might become a religious?
Ever since I was a boy, I liked helping at church, and I enjoyed being an altar boy. It became something that brought me satisfaction. After adolescence, I forgot about it and didn’t take my faith seriously to the point that I distanced myself from the church. However, after I came to the United States from Mexico and worked a number of years, I realized that I needed to return.
Your favorite way to pray?
Alone, contemplating nature.
What would people be surprised to learn about you?
That I know how to handle pistols, shoot, and ride a horse.
What is the best part of living in community?
When I am going through a rough time and I need something, there is a brother there to help me.
Any words of wisdom for those considering religious life?
There is always a moment in our lives that may be shocking, that may change our lives and bring out our best and show us what we have inside. We should not ignore those moments. We should not be afraid of showing who we are, or of going where God is calling us.
- What does it mean to be a brother?
- Science + Spirit = Brother Kyle: Profile of Brother Kyle Mena, F.S.C.
- Mountaintop encounter crystallizes my vocation
- Moved by the Spirit: Profile of Brother Luis Ramos, F.M.S.
- Big Brother is watching you
- Why did I become a brother?
- Brother Mark Elder makes an art of spirituality
- How God tricked Duc Pham into becoming a brother
- Why I hate Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Golfer? Accountant? Monk! Profile of Brother James Jensen, O.S.B. Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION