Service with a side of adventure: Profile of Peter Latouf, M.M.
Being inspired by the faith of the people I’ve met, especially Catholics in parts of Asia who are being persecuted for their faith and those in parts of East Africa who literally own nothing—yet faithfully walk for miles every day to attend Mass.
Thérèse of Lisieux, the “Little Flower,” is the patroness of missions and my personal hero. I try to live by her “Little Way” of letting go of my own selfishness by surrendering to God. I think it’s necessary to do this as a seminarian, particularly one living as I am now, in a completely unfamiliar culture.
Funniest experience with your community?
While visiting a group of Maryknoll priests in rural Tanzania, a herd of cows got loose from a local tribe and stampeded through our camp. They shredded my tent to pieces. For about a week I slept in the back of an old pick-up truck. It wasn’t too funny at the time, but now I can look back on the experience and laugh about it!
Favorite way to pray?
Taking quiet time for myself in front of the Blessed Sacrament is important, but the main way I pray is by getting out and interacting with other people. It’s very hard for me to sit still, so my favorite way to find God is to explore my surroundings, appreciate the beauty of the place I’m in, and sense God’s presence in those I meet.
People would be surprised to learn . . .
I was a contestant on the TV game show Jeopardy in 2009.
- Secrets to being a happy priest
- A jolt, then a call: Profile of Father Daniel Kim, M.M.
- Ed's story: Lose a dream, find a life
- A breath of Spirit
- Change today? One man's journey into priesthood
- Just call me Bishop Gustavo
- What it takes to be a good priest
- God rushes in
- Fateful homecoming amplified the call: Profile of Father Paul Chu, S.D.B.
- Tendering God on tough streets Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION