What are you afraid of?
Look at God’s people in scripture and how at first they resisted their calls. Jeremiah protested, “I’m too young.” Moses said, “I can’t speak; I stutter . . . ask my brother.” Mary asked, “How can this happen to me?” Peter argued, “Lord, leave me. I’m a sinful man.” And so on. What are your excuses?
Here are the most common, along with my responses.
I’m not holy enough.
Who is? God’s attention and love, or baptism or a church vocation, all are pure gifts from God.
I’m afraid I’ll fail.
So who doesn’t experience failure at times? Peter failed bitterly but later repented and ultimately succeeded greatly.
I’ve made mistakes.
I’m a sinner. Who hasn’t? Who isn’t? That’s why we enjoy God’s gift of forgiveness.
I’m not talented enough.
I think our talents are treated in the same manner as the loaves and fishes. We give God what we have and then watch it transformed into what is needed for ministry.
I don’t feel comfortable with all the positions of the institutional church.
Great saints have challenged the church in the past, and great Catholics do the same today.
I could never stand up and speak in front of a crowd.
That was my greatest fear when I entered the seminary, but training, practice, and the grace of God have helped me overcome it.
I’m afraid of making a permanent commitment.
I find that formation programs give us the time and space to really examine priesthood or religious life before we make a commitment. “Formation” is a preparation period consisting of classes, ministry, and prayer. It takes place before we get ordained or make vows. Remember, as the spiritual writers James and Evelyn Whitehead have said, “Vocation is an ongoing conversation with God.” God doesn’t ask for guarantees, only the will to keep on trying one day at a time.
- Call within a call: Your vocation and a career
- 8 questions and answers to your prayers
- Ask God a question, you’ll get an answer
- Discernment: Three things I pray
- When the going gets tough
- Listen closely
- Four steps to vocation discernment
- How to prepare for consecrated life
- A user’s guide on the ways to pray
- VOCATION PRAYERS - Prayers for Vocations Read More
- Find your spirituality type
- FAQs: Frequently asked questions about vocations
- Celibacy quiz: Can you live a celibate life?
- About Vocation Network and VISION Guide
- Benefits of advertising in VISION